Friday, February 10, 2006

Law Breaker

Well, I have been reading these things for a while now, especially Mr. Driver's and a slew of ultimate blogs. I really liked the idea of keeping those interested folks at home up to date on the Teach for America happenings, once they go down, and I also like the idea of having a place to post all the random junk that comes out of my head.

Here's an example. The other week I was sitting and listening to the TNT sermon on James chapter 2 and I got this idea for a drama to cover the idea of the Law and its function.

Lights fade in to show a angelic looking dude, sitting behind a table. Behind him are some type of door or entryway, emblematic of "those pearly gates". Some old guy, preferably an adorable one, walks approaches the table.

Table Dude: Hello Mr. ______! It is so good to finally meet you and speak with you! Your life has been one we up here have taken a fond interest in, for you have truly been a shining example of a righteous life.

Table Dude turns around and opens a file cabinet (or shelf type storage) and pulls out two very large 3-ring binders. The first is very very full, while the second is almost empty. He opens the very large binder and starts leafing through it.

Table Dude: Well Mr. _____, it says here that when you were 12 you went on a mission trip to Haiti with your family. It really set the course for your teenage years.

Mr. ______: Smiling in memory, I remember that trip! Oh how I loved playing soccer with the kids at the orphanage. They were so much better than me, but we had a great time. Does that have my whole life in there?

Table Dude continues leafing through the binder, pointing out some other really 'good' things that Mr. _____ did, while Mr. _____ reminisces.

Table Dude puts away the full binder and opens the empty binder. There is a single sheet contained in this binder. He starts to look it over and looks disturbed.


Table Dude: Well Mr. _______, it says here that during your freshmen year of college, you took some legal pads from a company you worked for.

Mr. ______: Thinking, Yea, I remember that. I took the one I needed and then 3 extra for the upcoming school year. Everyone was taking them, and I was going to have a tough year financially, so I thought every little bit would help.

Table Dude: It even says here that you gave them back two days later.

Mr. _______: It just messed with my conscience. Every time I went home, they would haunt me.

Table Dude: Well Mr. _______, those pads did not belong to you. That was stealing.

Mr. ______: Well, I guess, but I gave them back right?

Table Dude: I'm sorry about this, but that doesn't matter. You still stole.

Table Dude turns around and pulls out a huge stamp. He stands up, inks the stamp, and proceeds to slam it down on the page with all his might, while yelling "Law Breaker!" He continues to yell "Law Breaker!" at increasing volume, while Mr. _____ falls down to his knees, cries, and the lights fade out.

No comments: