Sunday, February 26, 2006

No, You're a Grownup

I got called a grownup last week, for the first time in my life. It was by a 6 year old little girl named Kaitlyn.

After thinking for a little bit about whether this was bad or not, I decided that I did not want to be a grownup. So I told her that no, I was not, in fact, a grownup. She insisted that I was. So I told her, that I was not a grownup, but rather that *she* was a grownup.

This spawned my new favorite game, which I have called "You're a grownup".

The basis of the game is that you have to use all your wits to come up with a complete proof of the other persons grownup-ness. In this case, the 'proof' consisted of the reciting of a nursery rhyme. Here is an example:

"Little Miss Muffet, sat on her tuffet...you're a grownup!"

In this example, the "Little Miss Muffet" part is sung just as one would sing the nursery rhyme. During the ellipsis, the debater would pause for dramatic affect, perhaps even pretend that they would continue the room, but then point and say "you're a grownup" with utter finality.

In my 22 years of life I have heard my fair share of nursery rhymes, so I was not hard pressed to continue to think of original ones against my competitor, six year old Kaitlyn. When she would begin to re-use rhymes, I would point out her error, and then she would think very deeply trying to conjure some new rhyme. Invariably, this process would end with the telling of a fake rhyme such as, "Spiderman, spiderman climbs the wall...you're a grownup!"

Needless to say, I was endlessly amused by these creations, as well as the game in general, so I have played it for my past two visits to LUM.

p.s. The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout.

You're a grownup.

No comments: