Thursday, March 15, 2007

Loose Ends 3 - Spring Break

I am on spring break. Right now. Right now, I am on spring break. Spring break, right now, is happening for me. It's happening.

Yep.

I went backpacking for the first half of my spring break (did I mention that I was on spring break?). I travelled across the great state of Texas for 9 hours, and arrived at Big Bend National Park.

At first, I was rather skeptical about Big Bend receiving "National Park" status. Yes it seemed wrinkly, yes it seemed big, but was it really worthy of being called a *National* park? I had my doubts. It was all brown and shrub covered.

The first night was an adventure, because we made it to the park just before closing time. All of the traditional campsites were full, and the ranger said that "For your safety and comfort, you should leave the park for tonight." We, of course, thought this joker was full hilarity and nonsensical statements, and decided to backcountry camp the first night. It was the right decision.

As we quickly discovered, Big Bend is dominated by the sun. There are 3 important times for every visitor to be aware of:


Sun Rise - a.k.a. when I can get up and stop pretending to be sleeping in this crazy hot weather.



Sun Set - a.k.a. when I can get in bed and quit pretending that I want to be outside in this crazy hot weather.



2 to 4 pm - a.k.a. when I can (try to) find some shade to escape the crazy hot weather so that I don't suffer heat stroke



After 3 full days, 38 miles, lots and lots of elevation gain and loss and 4 nights, here are some take-aways:
1. Big Bend deserves to be a national park.
2. Cowboy hats are sweet. Especially bent up ones.
3. Sunset, sunrise, and stars make any outdoors experience memorable.
4. Staking out a bluff, for the purposes of gang territory, in the wilderness, does not really pose any realistic benefit.

- Lil' Flapjack, gang leader of SW-4
"This is our bluff."


No comments: