Thursday, March 15, 2007

Loose Ends 2 - Losing my job

This week, I am on spring break. The glory of being a teacher. I am definitely calling all of my engineering friends tomorrow.

So, everything seemed to be on the mend with my principal, and everything was running smoothly. Well, as smoothly as 6th and 7th grade classes could hope to run with a first year engineering major running the show.

I got an email last week from my principal, asking me to come speak with her during my planning period about employment. She used a different word than employment, but it currently escapes me. Whatever.

So I roll down there, after talking to that other TFA guy (Stockton), who did *not* receive a similar email. I meet the 8th grade intervention math teacher at the office. She is my counterpart for 8th grade math.
"You got the email too?"
Me - "Mmm hmm."
"Someone's in there right now."
Me - "Ahh."

After 15 minutes of nail biting I am in.
"So as you know, the district is switching to traditional schedules next year, so we are going to be cutting units at all of the secondary schools. As an extension of this change, the math intervention role does not exist next year. This program was federally funded, and we don't get the funding next year."

Poleaxed.
"Okay."
"But don't worry you are not getting fired. We as a district are putting all of these teachers into a pool, and we will be filling future positions from this pool before we do any job fairs of any sort this summer."

Riping my fingernails out of my hand.
"Okay."
"It is important to understand, these are not walking papers. You are not getting fired. We are going to be finding another school for you. Since you are in TFA, we have to find you a school with another TFA corps member, so that might be hard, but you are not getting fired."

Gouging my eyes with my thumbs. "Okay."
"So we are going to sign this paper saying that you understand this process. We are going to be trying to find a spot for you here first, but that comes on the basis of seniority, as determined by contract signing date."

So my job doesn't exist next year.
This means (by my estimation) that I have about a 5% chance of being back at my school next year. I would need 2 math teachers to resign before I would be offered a position, and that just won't happen.

My options are to seek positions at schools my friends work at, by having my friends put a word in with their principals. "You, I know this dude. He teaches math right? And he is way sweet. Get him over here." Well, something like that.

Or I could wait, and maybe my district would run out of slots. Then I might get switched to HISD or to YES!

At least one other TFA math teacher (at a different campus), has received similar papers.

No comments: