Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Summer Reading

If you are looking for some books to occupy your summer, here are two different lists that I found interesting.

  1. Faculty of University of Texas summer reading list - This is pretty self explanatory. I like having lists like these because I never know what current novels are crap and what might be interesting.
  2. This course by Orson Scott Card made use of different genres of current american literature, with the intent being to give a true accounting of what american literature actually is, without all of the fluffy 'I want to sound super smart' junk.
  3. For what ever reason, one of the books I want to read this summer is called On the Road, by Jack Kerouac, which as far as I can tell, is *the* novel from the Beat Generation. And while I was at it, I looked up some Chuck Klosterman stuff, and this guy called Tom Wolfe. I guess the theme for this list is "Hippie drug culture", which I cannot explain my interest in, but let all be comforted that I do not plan on partaking in LSD any time soon.

1 comment:

k said...

is it just a coincidence that you want to read On the Road, and you last post was about the effects of moving around all the time? also, i have a copy of o.t.r. you can borrow if you'd like. after all, i hear you're reall good at getting and returning books to people in a timely fashion. :)