Wednesday, July 11, 2007

YES! Summer school!

Oh yea, summer school started today. I am teaching summer school at YES! prep, and I love it already. Even though I have no idea what is going on. And I didn't even have a lesson for today. And it is a billion degrees outside. And the following situation occurred:

student - "Mister, do we eat with the 7th graders?"
me - "Uh, I don't know."
student - "Mister, do we have to pay for lunch?"
me - "Uh, I don't know that either."
student - "Mister, can we sit anywhere we want at lunch?"
me - "Uh, I don't know that either. But I can find out the answers to all of your questions."
student - "Mister, you sure don't know what's going on."
me - "Uh huh."

Anyway, the first day went well. My kids were good, and we worked on a big math problem for the entire period. It was quite successful. Somehow, this math problem segued into the following exchange:

student - "Mister, would a pig spider freak you out?"
me - "So...uh...you're asking if I would be freaked out by seeing a spider. That was a pig."
student - "Yea. A pig spider."
me - "Yep. That would definitely freak me out."

yea I have no idea. But it *would* be freaky.

2 comments:

S said...

You may or may not be interested that the other day I started reading another Eco book, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. It's about an antiquarian bookseller with amnesia. Given my predilections, I am obligated to love it (and have thus far.) I think you might be, too.

(My apologies for continuing to communicate via comments. I don't know your email anymore.)

Mr. Blair said...

i am officially coming home aug 1 thru the 7th. so we should catch up.

i think i would be interested. i have another book you need to read if you are interested in the bookseller situation...

it's called "the shadow of the wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

it's amazing.