Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

Lent starts today. It is Ash Wednesday.

Last year was the first year I really observed Lent with any noticeable change in habits, even though the changes were not significant.

This year I am going to be doing it for real.

I am going to be giving up sweets and all forms of television.

The emphasis, however, is not on "ohh look at me, i am so righteous cuz i don't watch tv and i'm going to get thin by not eating sweets", but instead it is about freeing ourselves to engage with Christ. So as important as the act of releasing these things is, what I am taking on is just as important.

I am taking on a memory verse per week. This will come from whatever I am reading, and whatever struck my fancy. The goal here is to have my eyes, mind, heart focused on God, and that will happen easier if I am continually recalling the Word.

I am following a daily prayer/reading progression.

Let's get it started.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
- Hebrews 1:1-3

No comments: