Sunday, September 03, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

Good afternoon to you all, on this lovely Labor Day weekend. I, for one, am extremely thankful for the labors of my fellow human beings and perhaps equally thankful for the Federal Government in deciding we should have a national holiday in honor of the fact.

So far I have spent my weekend cooking (I made salsa and pizza this weekend, and both turned out splendidly), sleeping, eating, laying, and just a little bit of working (I still have school work to do, as it never ends).

Today I have even had the time available to catch up on my reading. I read a couple of blogs fairly regularly, and while reading through Contrary Brin, I discovered this very interesting idea. Basically, the guy proposes to use the border fence that people are yammering about as a long solar collector. This is the exact sort of thing that America has been sucking at, and needs more of. Great ideas that combine utility and creativeness while saving the world. Furthermore, when people keep thinking hard, we get awesome vacations like Labor Day. Keep it up.

I took some pictures of my apartment and thought someone might enjoy seeing what the Blair Abode looks like.
Here is my bed, still placed firmly on the ground. This is helpful for all those times you want to:
A) have a wrestling match on your bed
B) have a dream about falling and then fall out of bed
C) are too lazy to climb into bed
D) not buy a bed frame because you don't have any money and they don't make frames big enough for you 6'10" mattress anyway
Also notice the awesome and colorful rug that lies next to my bed. My grandma made it. She's the best.
It was quite an imposing prospect to buy the oh-so-extensive furniture now arrayed in my domicile, but I am quite pleased with it. The bookcase has room for all the books I brought with me, my DVDs and the other odds and ends that need to go somewhere. I also like my desk because I never bang my knees on it. Of course, the average person couldn't even reach the keyboard but whatever.

Finally, teaching is still sweet. I think the key is probably *gasp* preparation and *double gasp* being well-rested. Whoever said patience is a virtue was right, but in teaching patience isn't a virtue it's a freaking necessity. And being well-rested definitely supports the patience plan.

That's about it for now. Go. Eat. Drink. Be merry. But whatever you do, don't Labor, because it's Labor Day weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why would you be having a wrestle match...?